Friday, August 24, 2007

Lessons I've Learned.

Posted by Shanshine

In the short 21 years I have been blessed to be on this earth I have been taught a handful of lessons.

If you didn't know it already, I am the luckiest girl in the world. I am surrounded by the greatest people, with the greatest souls that this world has to offer. Heart's of Gold.


These people have taught me some of the greatest lessons.





I've learned that practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. I've learned that winning isn't everything, but it sure feels good. I've learned that the majority of people are generally good; and to love everyone, even those who aren't.



I've learned that, "every rose has it's thorn," and that every storm has it's rainbow. I know that not everyone enjoys "hippie" music, but I believe that deep down everyone enjoys to dance. Money cannot buy happiness and never spit into the wind.





Freedom isn't free. I've learned that good karma comes from a pure heart, Johnnie A. (feet pictured with mine) has taught me this lesson day after day. You can't replace a best friend... and you can't have just one. Kayaking makes good people great people. I 've learned that no matter how tough life seems, no matter how weak I may feel, that the bitter taste of defeat will always be conquered by a will to keep going.






I recent lesson I learned was from a great friend of mine, Mr. Darc Marc, who doesn't have a dark bone in his body. In our recent adventure he wrote on his forearm: "Not Dead Yet."

This is the lesson he taught from this statement: "Not Dead Yet...To me it was hope. It was that no matter how much I missed my wife, my job, my family, that I wasn’t done, I wouldn’t stop fighting, I wouldn’t quit, I’d keep crawling forward, I’d keep suffering, no matter what. You want to stop me? You better kill me. I’m not dead yet, and I’m still coming."


Lesson: Never ever give up.


I've learned that there are no friends on a powder day. There are too things a person never shows up late for: fishing & dinner. Alan has taught me what the river can do for a person's life.


Time spent kayaking cannot be deducted from a person's life. One of the more important lessons I've learned is that friendship is amazing. Friendship is trust. Megs has taught me about the power of true trust and friendship.


I've learned not to place judgment on others. I've learned that lessons are easier learned when you are on the other end. True love cannot be squashed, squished or otherwise lost.


All in all, I've learned a lot.

Never ever give up. Love all. Laughter is the best medicine. Love more. You can't hide broccoli in a glass of milk. Live to love, love to live.


Be Thankful. Be Humble. Be Jubilant. Be Free.


Thank you to those who have taught me the lessons of my life.




3 comments:

Ryan ♥ Breelyn said...

Shannon! It's Breelyn! WOW! It was so wonderful to catch up on your life! I saw your link on Shelly's blog and was so excited to say Hello! Okay first of all I just read your bike journey and CONGRATS!!! That's AMAZING!I love that you had the guts to do such an incredibly challenging thing! It sounds like it really impacted your life in such a great way! You are so adventurous I just LOVE IT! I would love to be more athletic like that!

Chad & Angela Nuttall said...

What a great post! You are so awesome!

Anonymous said...

remind him about the karma